Thursday, January 24, 2013

Ya know its going to be bad when...

So this morning (noon) I got a panicked sounding email from Production Manager saying to email him ASAP and then a text from Stage Manager asking if I wanted to ASM for a show this weekend. I called SM and began with 'This is a funny text to get on a Thursday afternoon.'
I agreed (of course. Ego absolutely forbid me to do otherwise), but I would have loved at least one day of tech.
And there went my weekend.

I've worked this show the last couple of years and it is a showcase of different performances, mostly dances. I ASM*-ed for this last year** too. There were sixteen different acts and it took me every minute of tech to organize it.

Yay.  [phubbbtttttt]

Which reminds me that I need a new pair of black pants soon. I definitely won't be able to wear robes for this.


Random fact of no importance: I found glow-in-the-dark ducktape online. So I had to order some. I'm not sure quite what I'm going to use it for, but I needed wanted it. It should arrive in the next couple days. Whoot!


Someday I'm going to write a short glow-tape poem/prayer to end entries with. Like Red Green's man prayer.  "I am a man. / And I can change. / If I have to. / I guess."
Someday.


*The official title is ASM - assistant stage manager. Which generally means taking direction from the SM (stage manager), and relaying cues. I prefer the more unofficial title BSM - (backstage manager,) since we don't often use headsets and I have no contact with the SM during the run. (and when we do actually set up the headsets, I pretty much ignore it anyways). Also, BSM (Bullsh** manager), which, depending on the cast and/or the crew I'm attempting to train, pretty much sums it up. [My 'ordained voice' says that's a mean thing to say, and my 'techie voice' is giving me a high-five and passing an energy drink]

**To clarify, the performers of this show last year were awesome and really easy to work with.

No comments:

Post a Comment